Sunday, September 20, 2009

Leek, Potato, and Bean Soup

We got a single, large leek in the box this week. Whenever I see 2-3 leeks my mind immediately goes to my vegetable broth where leeks are an important ingredient. But this was just one leek and it was going to be a busy week. We also received 1.5 pounds of Yukon potatoes and then I thought that potato-leek was a very common soup combo. So I went to work. I adapted an Alice Waters recipe in The Art of Simple Food using the ingredients I had on hand and this is was what opened tonight's meal:

Ingredients:
  • 1 large leek
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 sprigs of sage (original recipe called for thyme. I happened to have some extra sage on hand so I used that instead. Be creative.)
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • Salt
  • 1 pound of Yukon yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • Cannelli beans (I used some home-prepred beans but 1 can of commercial beans will do. More on the homemade beans later.)
  • 5 cups water or broth (Tonight I used TJ's vegetable broth from the pantry)
  • dried parsley as garnish
  • black pepper to taste
Procedure:
  • Trim off the root and green end of the leek
  • Slice thinly and soak in water to clean
  • Drain and dry sliced leeks
  • In a medium pot melt butter and add leeks with bay leaf, herbs, and salt
  • Cook for about 10 minutes until leeks are soft
  • As leeks cook, peel and quarter the potatoes
  • Add potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes until coated
  • Add broth (or water)
  • Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer for about an hour until the potatoes are soft enough to mash on the edge of the pot with a wooden spoon
  • Allow to cool, remove bay leaf, herb sprigs, and puree the soup with a hand blender
  • Add cannelli beans and stir in freshly ground black pepper
  • Let simmer for 10-15 minutes
  • Add a pat of butter and garnish with dried parsley
Serve with good crusty bread and wine.

2 comments:

CSA delivery said...

we also made a potato leek soup this week. great minds think alike! ;)

Tanya said...

Love soup soup season! This looks delicious.