The results were quite tasty. I adapted the original recipe by adding more garlic and a splurge of hot sauce. Other interesting ethnic spices could be added as well. This is a great starting point and you can make it your own by trying out different ingredients.
Chickpea hummus can leave you feeling bloated after you eat enough of it. Not so with this butternut squash. This hummus is lighter with the butternut squash adding a slight sweetness. But the tahini keeps it creamy.
Butternut Squash HummusIngredients:
- 1 small cooked butternut squash - you want about 3 cups
- juice of one small lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 8 pitted olive, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 nice splurge of your favorite hot sauce. I used Crystal.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the squash in half and clean out the seeds
- Rub the inside of the squash with a bit of olive oil
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place squash in a casserole dish and cook until done (about an hour)
- Add all other ingredients to a food processor
- Remove squash when done and let cool
- Scoop squash out of peel into the food processor
- Puree all ingredients, adding 1 or 2 tablespoon water, if needed