The persimmons that showed up in the box recently were Fuyus and I'm less familiar with them. But then I saw this recipe and I knew I had to make it.
Here's an excellent quick guide to persimmons.
The recipe comes from Bay Area writer and chef Eric Gower. He writes occasionally for the San Francisco Chronicle and he's one of the many food blogs I follow (see My Blog List below to the right). He has a unique approach to food and he infuses everyday cooking with some global flavors and approaches.
Persimmon Grilled Cheese:
- Gouda - original recipe called for goat gouda which I couldn't find at Whole Foods so I used a cow's milk gouda
- Chevre - I used a plain chevre
- Fuyu persimmons - slices of ripe, peeled persimmon
- Bread - the better the bread the better the sandwich
- Butter - see above
- Black Pepper - a dusting of freshly ground pepper