Finally one evening the guilt got to me and I did some online research and found that I've been tossing away a great green. Fortunately, this week's box included 3 monster beets which I will certainly use but I also made the effort to separate the greens from the beet and made them as a side in tonight's dinner.
I got online and blended a number of recipes. Most called for red onion and I didn't have any on hand. But I did have a lot of shallots in this week's delivery so I substituted shallots. I followed this blended recipe:
- Thoroughly wash beet greens and dry them in a salad spinner
- Cut the greens into smaller pieces and wash again
- Heat olive oil in a skillet
- Add 2 large cloves of chopped shallots and let cook for 5 minutes
- Add 2-3 cloves minced garlic and cook for a few minutes
- Add beet greens and 3/4 cup of water
- Stir until well mixed
- Reduce heat, cover skillet, and let simmer for 5-15 minutes
- Stir in 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar, a generous dash of red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste
There's more to explore here but the basic lesson is don't toss those beet greens.