Sunday, September 6, 2009

In the Garden: September 2009

Tomatoes
Tomatoes are now officially in full production! We harvested more tomatoes after this photo was shot. So there's probably about 30 altogether with more to be picked in the coming days and weeks.

Jalapeno Peppers
The jalapeno peppers are also producing nicely. They are fairly mild so they can be added to a variety of dishes without overwhelming them. One large one went into this morning's eggs (along with onions and mushrooms from the box).

Peaches
The peach tree is at the end of production. There are just a few more left on the tree after I picked these.

Celery
I finally just pulled up the celery. It was not producing anything edible. Celery is a cool season plant and planting it in spring/summer was a mistake.

Basil
I spent some time in the garden yesterday picking off the flower heads on the basil plants. After attending a workshop at a local nursery, I learned that the growing season for the east bay goes through October. There is still 8 weeks of production left on the basil. So I decided to get aggressive and remove all of the flowers and "going to seed" stalks. I harvested more basil and made yet another round of pesto. I may well reach my goal of having enough pesto in the freezer to not need any store pesto for an entire year.

No comments: