We picked up a new brand of baked, flavored tofu that we were not familiar with. It was billed as a jalapeno smoked tofu. The company was Tofu-Yu and it's located right here in the Bay Area. Visit their web site and you'll find that it's a new company looking specialize in gourmet tofu. They sell at various farmer's markets and are trying to get into the distribution channels of local stores.
This tofu is quite good and "meaty" in texture. The seasonings are bold which is a good thing with tofu. The outer, browned coating tends to separate but the flavors permeate deeply.
I made a burrito mix containing:
- 1 8 oz. package of jalapeno smoked tofu, diced
- small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 can of red kidney beans
- 3/4 can of corn kernels
- seasoning - use what you have. I used some seasoning from a Rancho La Puerta mix
- grated cheese
- thinly sliced romaine lettuce (from the backyard!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh tortillas - Trader Joe's Truly Handmade Tortillas are what we used
- your favorite salsa - currently on a tomatillo salsa kick
Good tofu that we'll have to look for in the future.