Saturday, November 28, 2009

In the Garden: End of November 2009

As the weather cleared and warmed up this afternoon, I went out and pulled up the 8 basil plants. They were dropping their leaves and the stalks were turning brown. Time to go!

The three tomato plants were also pulled up and I was able to harvest the last 5 tomatoes that were not chewed up by raccoons. Cutting back the tomatoes will provide some welcome sunlight to the romaine lettuce I planted a few weeks ago. They managed to take despite being in the shadow of the tomato plants. Now that they are established, I think they will welcome the sun.


With both the basil and tomato plants out, there was a fair amount of open real estate in the beds. I took the opportunity to work in some organic fertilizer into the soil in these areas.
I will look for some more fall crops to add.

The bell pepper plant is still producing and I harvested two peppers today with more still growing!

No comments: