Monday, January 11, 2010

Herbed Butter




This week's box had a tempting recipe for cilantro butter that I hope to try one day. Unfortunately, I waited too long before attempting this. When I went to make it the cilantro was a wilted lump in the refrigerator. But the idea of herbed butter idea intrigued me.

I had a good amount of leftover thyme from a potato-leek soup recipe I made over the holidays. I also had plenty of dried parsley from the backyard in the spice drawer. So I ended up adapting the recipe just with different herbs.

I took the final product and sliced it into single servings and stuck them in a bag in the freezer.

Here's what I did:

  • 1/2 of an 8 oz. package of unsalted butter (I used Kerrygold's Irish butter)
  • fresh thyme leaves - about 1 cup
  • dried parsley leaves - about 1/2 cup
  • black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced

Procedures:
  • Let butter sit at room temperature to soften
  • Pick thyme leaves
  • Add thyme leaves, parsley, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to a food processor and pulse into a coarse meal
  • Add above ingredients to a kitchen mixer; add butter and mix until well blended
  • Use a spatula to scoop ingredients into a parchment paper
  • Roll up the parchment paper and massage into a cylinder (like a giant tootsie roll)
  • Let chill overnight to harden
  • Slice into single servings and transfer to the freezer

No comments: