Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cilantro Chutney


I have to admit that there's a hint of disappointment whenever cilantro arrives in the box. While I enjoy the flavor, it too often sits in the fridge until it's a shriveled, withered lump of future compost. I like cilantro in small amounts. It's great in salsas but I don't make salsa all that often. I've made cilantro pesto and cilantro-arugula pesto but they are second fiddle to a good basil pesto. I was almost getting to the point of getting it banned from the delivery box. But then I found this chutney.

One evening I was wondering how to prepare a piece of swordfish that we picked up that day. I saw a recipe for a cilantro-mint chimichurri in
Bobby Flay's Mesa Cookbook that looked quite tasty. I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand so I just kind of winged it using what I had on hand. It was pretty spicy but tasty.

Ironically, the next morning's newspaper had
this article and recipe and it is pretty darned close to what I had made the night before. The chutney can be used in a variety of ways as you'll see in the article.

Cilantro Chutney

Makes 1 cup

This Indian condiment is often made with both mint and cilantro, so feel free to substitute mint
leaves for some of the cilantro.
  • 2 bunches of cilantro - I just do one bunch
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced - I used 3
  • 1 Serrano chili, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup of water - I skipped this step
  • 6 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons) - I used limes instead
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of finely grated ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt - I just did one teaspoon
Instructions: Rinse cilantro well and let it dry completely. Pick of the leaves and discard the stems. Place garlic and chili in a food processor and puree until finely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until a chunky salsa forms, scraping down the sides a few times to integrate all of the ingredients. Can be stored in the fridge for several days.

No comments: