Sunday, September 5, 2010

Drunken Peaches

My peach tree had a great crop this year. But peaches don't have a great shelf life so I needed to find some ways to use them up. However, I found that most recipes for peaches either call for a stick of butter or 3 cups of sugar--something I would like to avoid. I found peach pie, peach crisp but what I wanted was a simple way to prepare the peaches. Ultimately, I found a handful of recipes that weren't sugar or butter laden and I'm trying to make one each night until I run out of peaches.

I know I need to learn how to can peaches but that will come at a later time.

In my research, I found an intriguing recipe on the Food Network for Peaches and Sauternes. I went to the dessert wine section of my local supermarket but I couldn't find any Sauternes. I ended picking up a Riesling dessert wine instead. I assumed any dessert white wine will work but I would like to come back and see if the Sauternes makes a difference. For now I'll call it:

Drunken Peaches

Ingredients
  • 6 to 8 peaches
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 375 ml. bottle good dessert white wine
  • 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)

Directions
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil
  • Meanwhile, pour the wine and liqueur in a large bowl, add the sugar, and stir to dissolve
  • When the water is boiling, immerse the peaches in the water for 1 to 2 minutes.
  • Remove them with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl of cold water and ice cubes to stop the cooking.
  • Peel the peaches and then slice them in wedges off the pit and into the bowl.
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Serve cool but not cold.

No comments: