Monday, August 9, 2010

Baba Ganouj



One of the items in the box this week was a solitary, purple eggplant. I like eggplant but it's not the easiest item in the world to cook--or cook right. Eggplant can be elusive. It can be bitter, mushy, and tasteless. At the same time, done right, it can be silky and satisfying.

So I did some research, determined to use this eggplant in the best possible way. I settled on Baba Ganouj (spelled a variety of ways). I was drawn to a Cook's Illustrated recipe because it talked about how grilling eggplant on the BBQ drew out flavors that the oven cannot. I must agree. Grilling the eggplant over an open flame imparts a subtle, smoky flavor. I used a gas grill and from what I read hot coals may even improve this recipe. The other ingredients are simple. For the tahini, I used Trader Joe's Tahini Sauce mostly because I wanted to avoid the supermarket.

Most recipes call for two eggplants. The recipe below is my version for just one.


Baba Ganouj:
  • 1 medium globe eggplant
  • 1-2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. tahini
  • 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. chopped parsley leaves
  • pepper
  • paprika
Preparation:
  1. Preheat grill - I got it up to around 400 degrees
  2. Puncture the eggplant multiple times with a fork to prevent an "eggsplosion"
  3. Place eggplant directly on the grill grate turning occasionally for 20-30 minutes (I went for 30 minutes. The eggplant should be pretty sad looking and have some give as you press the back of a fork to it)
  4. Optional: I placed the garlic cloves in an envelope of foil and put in on the grill for about 15 minutes
  5. As eggplant cooks, prepare other ingredients
  6. When eggplant is done, remove from heat and let it rest for 10-20 minutes until it can be handled
  7. Using a fork, pull away the peel in strips
  8. Add the roasted eggplant to the food processor along with the other ingredients
  9. Mix until at desired consistency
  10. To present, drizzle some olive oil on top, sprinkle with paprika, and garnish with parsley leaves
  11. Serve with toasted baguettes or pita bread
Inspiration:

Cook's Illustrated "Perfect Vegetables"

Alton Brown's recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baba-ghannouj-recipe/index.html

Eating Well Magazine:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/baba_ganouj.html

3 comments:

Scrumptious said...

I love baba ganoush with a fiery passion. I used to be an avowed eggplant hater, but at some point I underwent a conversion! I am excited to check out this Cook's Illustrated-inspired recipe. They usually come up with pretty perfect stuff.

I recently made a David Lebovitz recipe, which is pretty similar to yours except that he had me put my eggplants right on the gas burner of my stove (perfect for me because I don't have a grill). My notes on the recipe say it needed a lot more lemon juice than was called for, but otherwise it was incredible! If you want to check it out: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/07/baba_ganosh.html

Gerald said...

Thanks. I did find David's blog when i was researching online. This turned out well. I think this is the best thing to do with eggplant.

Christiana Thomas said...

Cannot wait to try! I have been struggling to get through the eggplant portion of the share