Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Apple Oven Cake

I was paging through an old Sunset magazine (October 2009) when a recipe caught my eye. It sometimes seems that we can't always keep up with the apples from our box. I slice them into salads at every opportunity but I'm always looking for ways to use 1 or 2 of those Fuji apples.

This was a snap to make and I loved how the cast iron skillet was used for both stove top and oven. It could actually be made from scratch after dinner. It was definitely made in 30 minutes or less as advertised.

I made a few slight changes from the original recipe (seen next to the skillet in the photo).

Here's what I did:

Apple Oven Cake

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 apples, such as Fuji, peeled and sliced (original recipe called for just one)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup each flour and milk (I used non-fat)
  • lime juice (original recipe called for lemon juice but I'm swimming in limes from the backyard right now)
  • powdered sugar

Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  • In a large bowl, combine eggs, salt, flour, and milk. Use a hand blender to mix until well blended.
  • Peel and slice apples
  • Melt butter in a 12" cast iron (or other ovenproof skillet) over high heat.
  • Add brown sugar and cinnamon, swirling to combine.
  • Stir in apples and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes
  • Pour in egg mixture and transfer to oven. Bake until puffed and brown, about 15 minutes.
  • Sprinkle with juice and powdered sugar. Use a wire mesh colander for the powdered sugar. Press sugar through wire with your fingers.

No comments: