Saturday, August 29, 2009

In the Garden: August 2009

A nice harvest from the backyard today: 30+ peaches, about 20 tomatoes, and 10 jalapeno peppers. I see some recipe searching for salsa.

Tomatoes: As the tomatoes began to ripen, I noticed that the bottom of the fruit had a brown rot. I did some research and learned that I had Blossom End Rot or BER. It has to do with either irregular watering and/or not enough calcium in the soil. I suspect over-watering. It can't be inconsistent watering since the beds are on a timer. So I cut back the amount of water. I think it may have helped since I was able to harvest some intact tomatoes today but I also composted just as many. Next year, I should also mulch the vegetables to keep the soil moist and keep the timer at 5 minutes or less.

Zucchini: Pulled it up a few weeks ago. Phew, done with zucchini! Next year, try a new and different kind of squash.

Peaches: They are just coming into season now. I could have harvested more today. Next year, I need to thin out the peaches (along with the apricots) as the fruit begins to form. With so many so close together they tend to push each other off as they grow larger.

No comments: