Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vegetable Gardening: June 2009


Things are going pretty well in the vegetable garden.

Arugula
: Quickly went to seed but this last weekend I chopped it back quite a bit. Best to keep it under control. Six arugula plants is a lot for two people.


Parsley
: The Italian flat leaf parsley has been going very well. Easy to grow. I've made a few batches of arugula-parsley pesto and put them in the freezer.


Lettuce: Excellent! There is nothing better than going out and picking leaves of lettuce for that night's salad. Romaine is growing vigorously and I've given a bag of leaves to a neighbor. The Red Sails is less vigorous but sufficient to feed the two of us.

Scallions
: Coming along.


Peppers
: Not too much happening. Probably not hot enough yet. Plus the broccoli is growing over it.


Broccoli
: Whoa! Needs a lot of room. It's a cool weather plant but there is one bunch growing. Look for a better time of year to plant this and give it more room.


Celery
: Coming along. Not sure what to expect.


Basil
: Disappointing. Again, maybe the cool start to our summer. The plants are not growing too fast. They started to go to seed but I nipped off the flower buds. I was hoping to get lots of pesto for us and a neighbor. So far I have made one batch of pesto from farmer's market basil.


Zucchini
: I am harvesting the first zucchini tonight!


Tomatoes
: Growing quite well.

The weather has been so mild so far. This has meant slow growth on some vegetables but it has also meant too cool for pests. I have not had to spray any insecticidal soap thus far.

I also planted a few cosmos in the garden with the hope of attracting some beneficial insects.

No comments: