Sunday, May 10, 2009

Vegetable Garden: May 2009

The first wave of vegetables are now all in the ground as of this afternoon. The crops include:
  • Arugula - first time growing this.
  • Basil - I have eight plants this year. Call me crazy but we live on pesto. I need to make batches of pesto each week and use it or freeze it. The neighbors are also wanting some.
  • Broccoli - Another first. I thought this was a winter crop but it was available at the nursery. Hopefully, I'm close enough to the coast to get something out of this. We'll see!
  • Celery - same as above
  • Lettuce - red leaf and romaine
  • Parsley - flat leaf
  • Pepper - two jalapeno and two bell peppers
  • Scallions - Another first. Had good luck with yellow onions last year but was not able to separate the scallions into individual plants so I had to plant in the clumps they came in.
  • Tomato - two plants in the back bed from a co-worker. Not sure what type.
  • Zucchini - same as above
The plant on left side of the back bed is the recently hacked-back, aggressive rosemary plant.

No comments: