Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dormant Fruit Tree Spraying

With the first day of spring just a few days away and most of my fruit trees beginning to bloom, I have to admit to myself that I completely missed the boat on spraying my fruit trees.


In our remodeled back yard we have a lime, apricot, apple, orange, peach, and lemon tree. Most are about two years old (the lemon is one year old). The apricot and peach produced a lot of fruit their first year. The lime and lemon are starting to fruit. The orange has not produced anything yet. So I'm still learning about the care and feeding of fruit trees.


I have had some peach leaf curl for the last two years. Other than that, the trees have been healthy. Hopefully, I won't have any issues this year.

Next year I need to remember to begin the process in December. According to Northern California Gardening: A Month-by-Month Guide:

Dormant spraying is done in two or three doses, and the first application is made in December or January...after they have lost their leaves.

I need to think about December, January, and February applications on days where the weather is above 45 degrees and there's no rain in the forecast.


I need to look into Bordeaux mixture (hydrated lime and copper sulfate) since it specifically mentions peach leaf curl (as well as other apple diseases).

No comments: