Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Arugula & Cilantro Pesto


There were lots of greens in our latest box (every other week delivery). In addition to the pea shoots, we got a large bunch of arugula and a bunch of cilantro. Not to mention the bag of spinach.

So I decided to make a pesto out of the arugula and cilantro. I looked at a few different recipes and came up with the following. It's not a finalized recipe. Just using what was on-hand at the time.

To make the pesto I made up the following recipe:
  • 2+ cups of arugula, washed and dried
  • 1 bunch of cilantro leaves, washed and dried
  • 4 cloves of garlic chopped
  • freshly ground pepper to taste
  • roasted pine nuts
  • shredded Parmesan cheese
  • Olive oil, to desired consistency
Many recipes have you brown the garlic in its skin in a skillet. Let it cool and then peel. Since I began this project after dinner I didn't have time to do that.

I always keep roasted pine nuts in the freezer. Their high fat content means they freeze well and thaw quickly. Get a large amount of pine nuts, roast them, and keep them in your freezer in an airtight container. That way you can add them to salads or make pesto at any time.

I let this pesto recipe sit for a few nights until tonight when I used it on a homemade pizza with mushrooms, carmelized onions, garlic, sauteed pea shoots, and cheese.
There's plenty more for future dinners.

No comments: